While spending time with God, He pressed upon me that this particular post needs to be revisited. He saw the concerns of my heart and so here it is: Back in 2017, I had read a book by Anne Graham Lotz entitled The Daniel Prayer. I learned a lot from it but one of the things that stood out was this particular morning while Anne was in prayer before the Lord, she wanted to discuss certain projects on her plate. God wanted to talk to her about something else. She said she really wanted to discuss the projects. But HE told her it was time to review her sins. (I’m paraphrasing what she said in the book.) Anyways, she began to list all that she knew she was doing wrong and the Holy Spirit expanded the list. She put it in the book along with some others that came to mind but that she was not necessarily guilty of. SO….I’m going to copy and paste the list into this post. As evil is advancing in a mighty way, we must be extra diligent to examine ourselves and let the Holy Spirit run the show, not our self-inflated egos or any pridefulness that might rival that of the Pharisees. You can have the entire Bible memorized but if you use it to swan about or think you are better than others (that includes other Christians), rest assured God will humble you. We are to be humble as Jesus was humble. We are here to let God mold us into the image of Jesus and to bring glory to Him. Not ourselves. I am still totally baffled as to the fact that He called me. Growing to know Him more and more only increases my amazement of Him.
So here is the list that I copied from the post I wrote back in 2017: The list are Anne’s words not mine. I am thankful I was given the opportunity to read the book.
1) Ingratitude. Failure to thank God for the favors He has bestowed both before and after salvation. What blessings or answered prayer have you neglected to thank God for?
2) Losing Your Love for God. Loving people or things more than your love God. Have you lost your first love for Jesus?
3) Neglect of Bible Reading. Pushing daily Bible reading aside due to an over-full schedule or being preoccupied with other things as you read. How long has it been since reading you Bible was a delight? Do you remember what it says when you are finished?
4) Unbelief. Refusing to believe that God will give you what He has promised. (which is the same as accusing Him of lying.) What promise do you think He will not keep?
5) Neglect of Prayer. Offering prayer up to God as spiritual chatter, fantasy, wishful thinking, or daydreaming. Do you offer prayers without fervent, focused faith?
6) Lack of Concern for the Salvation of Others. Standing by and watching people on their way to hell without caring enough to warn them, pray for them, or admit that is where they are going. Have you become so politically correct that you don’t apply the gospel to those you know and love? Do you think it is someone else’s responsibility to tell them?
7) Neglect of Family. Putting yourself and your needs before those of your loved ones. What effort are you making, and what habits have you established, for your family’s spiritual good when it requires personal sacrifice?
8) Love of the World and Material Things. Thinking of your possessions as your own instead of blessings and gifts from God. Do you believe your money is yours and that you can spend it as you choose without asking God?
9) Pride. Over-concern about outward appearances and thinking you are better than someone else. Are you offended, or even irritated if others don’t notice certain things about you? How do you react when people say you are wrong?
10) Envy. Jealousy of those who seem to be more fruitful, gifted, or recognizable than you. Do you struggle with hearing somebody else praised?
11) A Critical Spirit. Speaking about others in a manner that is empty of grace and love. Do you find fault with others? Do you set standards for them?
12) Slander. Telling the truth about a person with the intention of causing people to think less of him or her. Whose faults, real or imagined, about others have you discussed behind their backs?
13) Lack of Seriousness toward God. Not showing God the honor and respect He is due. Do you show disrespect for God by sleeping through your prayer time or showing up late for church as though He doesn’t matter? Do you give God the leftovers of your emotions, time, thoughts, or money?
14) Lying. Saying anything that is contrary to the unvarnished truth. What have you said to impress someone that wasn’t the whole truth or was an exaggeration of the truth?
15) Cheating. Treating others in a way you wouldn’t want to be treated. Have you stopped short of treating others the way you would want to be treated? (I wondered about this one. I don’t know if Cheating is the correct word to use to fit the definition Anne has laid out. I wonder if I can find out from her.)
16) Hypocrisy. Pretending to be something you are not. Are you pretending to be anything you are not?
17) Robbing God. Wasting time on tings that have no eternal value or exercising your God-given gifts and talents for a fee. What are you not doing for God that you are willing to do for others–for a price?
18) Temper. Losing patience with a child, coworker, friend, spouse, staff member, or anyone else. What cross words have you spoken recently?
19) Bad Temper. Losing control of your emotions, thoughts, and words so that you abuse someone else verbally. Have you lost your temper recently?
20) Hindering Others. Taking other people’s time needlessly or destroying their confidence because you hold them to an unreasonably high standard. Have you done this?
21) Arrogance. Accepting God’s forgiveness while refusing to forgive yourself or somebody else. Have you been guilty of this lately?
Much prayers to you all. In Jesus’ Love…. Christine